[Shop-talk] Paging Mr Wizard

Subject: [Shop-talk] Paging Mr Wizard
From: shiples at comcast.net (Steve Shipley)
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 15:49:18 -0800
  Why DOESNT ice float.

I just had a burger, fries, and a mug of root beer at the local A&W.  I was
given a chilled glass mug and I poured my own drink.  I got the ice from
the soft drink dispensor, but the root beer came from a separate tap that
looked similar to a beer tap in a tavern.

So I'm seated and looking at my beverage and I can't see the ice.  With
closer investigation, I can see that the ice has settled to the bottom of
the mug.  As I drink the root beer the ice appears and it isn't stuck to
the bottom and moves freely.

So I come home, fire up the Google and learn that ice floats in water
because ice is less dense than water.

My current guess is that my observations are faulty or that A&W root beer
doesn't have much water in it.  Is there anyone out there who might be able
to add some information or help me design an experiment to determine what
is going on?  I'm headed out to the shop to adjust the last valve on a 351W.