[Shop-talk] Comparing kerosene & electric shop heater costs

Subject: [Shop-talk] Comparing kerosene & electric shop heater costs
From: TR3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:52:59 -0800
> Can someone confirm my math here?

Math seems pretty close, although I got $4.75 for electricity; and my
marginal electricity rate is a lot higher than $.12/kwh even though the
average rate is only a little higher than that.

However, kerosene seems kind of expensive, considering that I can buy
gasoline (including road tax) for about $3.
Is fuel oil any cheaper?

You might also want to take a peek at those infrastructure costs, especially
if you only plan to run the heat for a few days a year.  Your electric
service might have an spare 60 amps of capacity, but mine doesn't; and the
cost to upgrade will buy a whole lotta propane.  Having a bigger service
might also affect the minimum price during summer months (if you don't have
AC).

The water problem can also be eliminated by using a vented heater (which is
the only kind allowed here, if the shop is attached to a residence).  But of
course that also lowers the efficiency.

-- Randall