Re: [Shop-talk] Phone overload

To: markmiller@threeboysfarm.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Phone overload
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:25:24 -0500
On 1/29/2011 3:44 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> <<<
> Thanks for all the advice.  The second line may not be an option.  I had
> a second line for dialup but disconnect when I got the cable modem.  The
> first line went bad so the phone company  switched to main line to the
> second.  The service tech told me it was a good thing I had had it
> because he may not have been able to use any other lines; old lines and
> pretty much used up.
>
> Cell phone is not an option, only signal we get is standing in the
> rafter at one end of the house.
>
> Of the advice the internet phone might be an option, if cheap enough.
>
> But this does address the root problem.  I need to trim her habit.
> Giving in and giving her very own line sends the opposite message.
> Equally I need to trim the habit of her friends which is most of the
> problem.   If anyone knows of parental phone line technology I'm all ears.
>
> Peter Thomas
> Go oldschool: put in a payphone and give her a phone allowance each month.
>
> And it will help the next generation know what those things are.
>
> http://www.payphone.com/Economy-Desktop-Payphone.html

That Brady Bunch episode came to mind when I was writing it.

> Or go new and get her and her friends to use Skype instead.

Have her set up with Skype and she does use it.  They use Skype AND the
land line at the same time.  Along with AIM.

Only problem with Skype, it rings through her computer so the computer
must be on and she must be in ear shot.

Peter T.
> Mark.
>
> With three boys, no phone overload issues

Girls are a different universe.

Boy's phone call:

     "Hey"
     "Hey"
     "You  going tonight?."
     "Yeah"
     "See ya"

End of message.

My email account has a size limit on messages so I can't include the
girls version of the same conversation.