[Shop-talk] Best dishwasher?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Best dishwasher?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:49:29 -0600
Who makes the best dishwasher today ?

Our present KitchenAid Superba dates to about 2003.  The 1977 Superba it
replaced only needed one timer, one soap door, and one set of racks in 26
years.

About 7 years ago we replaced it with another Superba, as we were about to
redo the kitchen anyway and the pump finally went out on our old one.  In 26
years, it only needed one timer, a soap door, and one set of racks because
of rust.  We used all KitchenAid when we redid our kitchen in 2005, and
everything else has been great.

This one is nothing like the quality of our old one.  I replaced the pump
and motor at 3 years, replaced the door seal, the nylon cable mechanisms
that pull the door up, the water manifold and top spray bar, and un-warped
the middle spray bar.  I've repaired the plastic rack adjusters many times,
and they've lived with zip ties holding them together for years.  Now the
pump is going again - it doesn't wash stuff on the top rack worth a darn.
And the racks are rusting already.

I'm tired of throwing good money after bad.  Rather than replace racks and a
second pump in 7 years, I'd prefer to replace the dishwasher.  With parts
prices, I'd be spending well over $200 just to buy another 3-4 years till
the pump fails again.  Damn cheap plastic crap.

But what do we buy ??  We want a top-of-the-line dishwasher, but have no
experience with any other brands.

Who makes a great dishwasher today ?

Thanks in advance !!

Karl