Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma Cutter- the review

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma Cutter- the review
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:24:18 -0500
I don't mind doing the calculations, but I have a monster air compressor
and air reserve and it would take forever for it to kick in.  I'll see
about making a small tank or something to do a measurement.

I still need to find out how to dial in the air.  50-70PSI and it doesn't
seem to make a difference in the cuts.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

"Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
01/14/2011 18:00

cc
"'shop-talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma Cutter- the review

> I'm willing to say
> that cheap chinese tools use more air, but three times as much, for
> less cutting abiity?

I could certainly be mistaken; maybe it does use only 3.5 scfm.  But I
sure
wouldn't want to bet $500 on it.  Manufacturers are usually good at
presenting their products in the best possible light, and being able to
run
with a small (portable) compressor would certainly be an advantage for a
unit with a handle on the top.

Maybe Moose can give us a measurement.  Start cutting with a full tank of
air and count seconds before the compressor kicks in.  If you know the
cut-in and cut-out pressures, plus the tank capacity, you can calculate
roughly how many scfm you were drawing.

-- Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums