[Shop-talk] Rivets won't pop

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Rivets won't pop
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:10:05 -0500 (EST)
    I spent a good chunk of last Friday and Saturday thrashing to get my
racecar ready to go ice-racing last Sunday.  I made it, and we ran all six
races, but torn it up a bit in the process.  Looks like I'm going to
repeat that process tonight and tomorrow.

    A lot of the thrashing resulted from rivets that wouldn't pop.  I have
a standard Arrow rivet gun...
( http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-RH200-Fastener-Riveter/dp/B00004Z2JG ) and
used a lot of different sizes, both steel and aluminum, but I had the
same problem with most of them.  The mandrel would break, but the blind
end wouldn't expand enough to become larger than the hole.

    At first, I thought they were just too cold, as I was working in my
unheated ~30* garage.  I took all the rivets inside overnight, but had the
same problem in the morning.

    I have never had this happen before.  I used a wide-enough variety of
rivets that I don't believe all of them could be defective.  I don't
understand how a problem with the gun could cause this issue.  That only
leaves operator error, which is possible, but how hard is it to squeeze
the handle on a rivet gun?  I've riveted some of these same parts together
before.

    Anyone know what's going on here, before I waste another couple hours
and a bunch of rivets?  Thanks.

--
  David Hillman

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums