[Shop-talk] Home air cleaners

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Home air cleaners
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:38:27 -0600
We'd like a few room-size, freestanding air cleaners - like the Honeywell
models that remove pollen and pet dander, etc.  I never paid any attention
to them, having been completely disillusioned by an electronic air cleaner
in our furnace that did NOTHING.  Switching to a 4" pleated paper filter
changed our whole house, at about $22 per year, so I figured the little
electronic units were a gimmick too.

A recent experience with one of the little Honeywell free-standing units at
a friend's house made me interested.  My wife has asthma, and despite our
having a better furnace filter now, there are still times when there's
something in the air bothering her.  One of these would help her.  I
envision having a few, like one for the bedroom, one for her hobby room,
etc.

Anyone have any experience with these things ?  Honeywell has so many models
and I really don't know what I need.  Plus - Honeywell seems to be pretty
overpriced on so many things - is this a case where I need to buy their
product, or is there something less expensive that will do the same good job
?

Thanks !
Karl

Pilots -