Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a Door

To: <pethier@comcast.net>, "'Douglas Braun'" <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a Door
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 07:39:45 -0600
Most of us have prehung steel doors on our hangars at the airport, mostly
Mastercraft from Menard's because that used to be the only place nearby.
Just like Phil's experience, everyone's wood frame rots out under the
extruded plastic at the bottom of the side jambs.  I caulked mine thoroughly
and the caulk is still adhered and flexible, but the jambs are rotting
nonetheless.

It's a common enough problem that they sell a replacement frame kit.  And
they used to accuse Detroit of "planned obsolescence"...

Karl