Re: [Shop-talk] Porch Ceiling

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, bob@texmog.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Porch Ceiling
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:14:04 -0500
  Bob,

As others have said, you can nail wood onto the joists to bring your
spacing back to 16" centers, but there is another problem that needs to
be dealt with. 1/4" plywood will sag when nailed on 16" centers\ over
time, leaving you with a wavy ceiling.

I would consider:
- Nail 1x4's on 12" centers across the joists and block the joints where
the bead board seams land.
- Cover the ceiling with 1/2" plywood and glue/nail the bead board to
the plywood.
- If the existing drywall is not sagging, strip off as much paint as
possible and nail/glue the bead board to it.
These are in no particular order.

Let us know what you decide on.

Peace,
Pat