[Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:12:47 -0400
Here is a topic I don't think we ever discussed before, so let me throw
out my question.

I have a few trailers (one car and one boat) that have brakes on them. One
has a surge type brake (boat) and the other as an electric drum brake (car
trailer.)

Ideally, I'd love to convert them both to electric disc brakes (I already
have brake controllers in both my trucks.)  Here are my questions...

For the trailer that already has electronic drum brakes, is this a hard
conversion?

For the boat trailer with the surge brakes, I realize that there is more
to it then just replacing the pads.  Is it possible to do the switch.
Secondly, and most importantly, this boat trailer is used for saltwater.
Are disc brakes the best option for salt water?

Finally, can anyone point me to some sources (online) for trailer parts?
Thanks.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums