Re: [Shop-talk] Problem with refrigerator

To: "'John T. Blair'" <jblair1948@cox.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Problem with refrigerator
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:07:45 -0500
I'd be willing to bet that the refrigerator's defrost drain hose is plugged
up.  They tend to grow bacterial slime which eventually plugs the line, so
when the defrost cycle produces water, it can't drain normally to the
evaporator pan on the very bottom of the refrigerator (below the freezer
drawer).

It's also possible that something got kinked during the move to cause the
same problem, but those drain lines do tend to plug over time, and it's very
possibly just a coincidence that it happened now.  The only thing I wonder
about is why it's only once a month - refrigerators usually defrost every
day or two, based on a timer.  Maybe yours defrosts based upon a sensor and
you're in a very dry climate ??

Karl