Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical question
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:57:05 -0400
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 08:28:22PM +0000, Matt wrote:
> I shoulda just gave the whole story up front.  I cart off timed out 24V
> batteries from work (they were paying to dispose of them!)  They still have
> good life in them and I was going to use it to power my canoe on early morning
> fishing jaunts.  They make 24V trolling motors, but I was looking to just get
> a cheap used one and you rarely find the 24V used - plus they are usually much
> higher power motors.

Yeah, the 24V TMs that I've seen are in the 60-70lb range or higher.  Come
to think of it, that would be pretty fun on a little canoe!

A DC-DC converter is an option but it would need to be beefy since a trolling
motor might draw upwards of 50A @ 12V at full throttle.  A converter capable
of that load will probably cost more than a new 12V battery.

If the batteries you're carting off are still useable, perhaps you could
sell a few on craigslist to geeks looking to modify their UPSes for longer
runtime (my SmartUPS 1500s run on 24V) and use the proceeds to buy a
12V battery?

JM

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums