Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:52:40 -0400
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I have a simple MTD push lawn mower (that I use to mow around my shop) with
> a B&S engine and 22" blade. B Today I nailed a small tree stump with it.
> B Usually you just "graze" things and it somehow survives when you lift off
> it. B Not this time. B The engine stopped instantly. B The tip of the
blade,
> about 3" back, is bent 90 degrees downward!
>
> Is there any chance I damaged the engine? B Is it ok to start it with the
> blade off, just to see if it runs ok? B (don't know if it depends on the
> blade as a flywheel, or needs it as a load.)

Depends on the design.  Is your mower of the cheap, crappy sort, that
requires the blade to be engaged to run the engine, or does it have a
clutch, that allows the engine to run without the blade spinning?  If
it's the cheap, crappy sort, you're out of luck.  Buy a less cheap
crappy lawnmower.  If it's not the cheap, crappy sort, you can run the
motor without the blade attached just fine.

I suspect you've got a cheap, crappy lawn mower, and have sheared the
pin that holds the blade to the flywheel or crank.  If that's the
case, pull the spark plug, tip it up so you can see the blade, and
pull the starter cord.  The blade assembly should turn (you'll need to
engage the blade run thing, too).

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com