Re: [Shop-talk] alternative fluids for parts washers

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] alternative fluids for parts washers
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:54:50 -0400
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:

> BTW, solvents containing methylene chloride (paint remover) can do nasty
> tings in the presence of aluminum:

Any chlorinated solvent will react with aluminum (and usually magnesium,
too).
Methylene chloride doesn't react vigorously, compared to some other solvents
like trichloroethylene or 1,1,1-Trichloroethane (which is banned as an ozone
depleter) which react vigoursly enough to start fires (and are
auto-catalyzing!) and plumes of phosgene and hydrochloric acid.  Methylene
choloride doesn't react with oxidized aluminum, and only slowly with pure
aluminum, so it's reasonably safe to use it.  that said, I see little reason
to have chlorinated solvents around the home shop.

> Apparently, the aluminum itself is not corroded.  I guess that's why
> MC-based stripper is sometimes called "aircraft stripper".
>
> It does, but not with the layer of aluminun oxide that quickly forms on any
aluminun surface.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com