[Shop-talk] GFCIs difficult to plug into?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] GFCIs difficult to plug into?
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:21:16 -0400
I've noticed a trend lately with the GFCIs that I've bought for outdoor
applications, I'm assuming they were outdoor rated on the box as I would've
only bought them if they were marked as such.   They are getting more
difficult to plug into...  I've had about 3 (of the 4) outside GFCI
receptacles around my house get harder to plug into over the last couple
years.  The most recent was today, and I had to hit it with my hand to get it
to insert.  I can't imagine this level of effort would be good for the
receptacle or the extension cord I was using, so why would this be by design?
There seems to be some mention on the internet that some manufacturers make
them tight intentionally, and that tighter might mean better...  lol... yes,
the only safe GFCI is one you can't even plug into...
I've had none of these issues with many of the indoor GFCIs that I use on a
daily basis.  I've bought all of the GFCIs I have from Home Depot and I'm
tempted to return them as faulty, though I don't know what their return policy
is on used electrical stuff...
Has anyone had similar experiences, or had *good luck* with a particular brand
that  _hasn't_ given them trouble?
PJ
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL
:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3