Re: [Shop-talk] tolerancing a interference or friction fit ???``

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tolerancing a interference or friction fit ???``
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:29:01 -0400
On 4/8/2010 11:13 AM, john niolon wrote:
> I'm still trying to press in some steel sleeved bushings into tubular control
> arms for a front suspension I'm doing on my old truck.  Having a devil of a
> ... the control arm bore is mic'ing 1.250 +/- .002   the bushings are anywhere
> from 1.260 to 1.268.  No two measure the same.  It's a steel sleeve with
> rubber core over a inner steel sleeve that the suspension bolt slides

That sounds awfully tight, even assuming the parts are perfectly round,
or able to deform to round.  A chamfered edges help a lot too.  But I'm
not a machinist or engineer.  I did google "interference fit tolerance"
and found this one near the top of the list:
http://www.engineersedge.com/class_v.htm

-Wayne

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums