Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor freight air line

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor freight air line
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:30:07 -0500
Moose wrote:

> As with most HF items, you get what you pay for.  But in most
> cases, I found that I don't need the industrial quality for
> my shop use.

And that is the "secret" to Harbor Freight tools.

I have various air hoses that I've bought from HF over the last 25 years
or so.  They still work fine.  A couple get stiff when cold, others
don't.  The auto retracting hose reels work fine, although the one that
I bought 25 years ago for $30 (25 foot long hose) finally stopped
locking in place (I need to replace that one).

I have air tools that I commonly use.  I destroyed one "jitterbug"
sander after about 15 years.  Bought a replacement one for $20 on sale.
Much better deal than a professional model for $200.

I also have a few quality name brand (non-HF) tools that I use when the
cheap HF stuff just won't hack it (my 600 ft-lb IR impact for instance),
but for the most part, HF works fine.

It's kind of like cars.  We don't always need to drive around in
Mercedes quality.  Chevy quality is just fine.  Sometimes Hyundai
quality is all you need (Actually I really like our new Elantra).
Harbor Freight is Chevy and Hyundai - although sometimes it's Yugo...

Tim Mullen

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums