Re: [Shop-talk] drive wheel speed ???

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] drive wheel speed ???
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:49:48 -0700
> I've never seen a mower set up like this.  Seems a bit rube
> goldbergie.

We had one like that.  The driving wheels were on a movable shaft, which
lifted them away from the main wheels to stop the drive.  A crude but
effective clutch; better IMO than the more common (then) belt with a moving
idler pulley.

> You'll probably nee a different length of chain.

Which I think would be the advantage of just changing the driving wheel
diameter.  The shaft moved in an arc, so it would just need to come a bit
higher to accommodate larger driving wheels, probably just a linkage
adjustment.  The chain length doesn't need to change.

Probably the exposed drive system is too dangerous by today's standards, but
it was simple, effective and durable.

Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums