[Shop-talk] Tapered roller bearing conundrum

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Tapered roller bearing conundrum
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 18:07:50 -0400
One of the motorcycle swingarm bearings was a little notchy so I thought I'd
grease it. They're tapered rollers. Cake, right? Unable to pull the inner race
out because of the seal stiction, I used the puller. Came out fine. Cleaned it
up, hit it with compressed air and was almost done when the air hit that sweet
spot and rollers went EVERYWHERE.

Picked them all up and cleaned them and found the plastic cage and greased
everything. Snicked the bearing-laden cage onto the inner race. Pushed it into
the outer race which was still in the swingarm. It didn't go in all the way.
Tap tap with a plastic hammer. Nothing. Hm. Tried pulling it out. Nothing. Got
the puller again. Nothing. Pulled REALLY HARD and the outer race came out.

Somehow I managed to wedge the rollers in the races so that they can't come
apart. They seem stuck between the bottom of the inner race and the top of the
outer race. Anyone debugged this before?

List for a new one is $62. It'd be real nice if I could fix this one...

thanks,
jim

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums