[Shop-talk] Pull Starter

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Pull Starter
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:10:25 -0600
Okay, I have a new one for the list.

I have a 23 year old snow blower (7HP Craftsman) with a Tecumseh engine
on it.  It's worked fine all these years (although some years it never
gets used) except for one problem.  The pull starter.

A couple of months ago, the pull starter broke - actually the little
"tang" that flips out and catches the starter cup on the end of the
crank.  Actually it failed a couple of years ago, but the blower wasn't
needed since then.   That one worked probably 20 times with no problem
until a snowstorm in December, when it failed again.

I tried to order a new one, but they seemed to be back ordered
everywhere.  I ended up ordering one from Sears and another for an
online Parts shop.  Both were back ordered and they finally came in
after the second (or was it the third) big snowstorm hit the area.  I
installed the new Sears pull starter (and a new starter cup just in
case), and it broke again on the second pull.  Sears is replacing the
failed part (still waiting for it), so I put on the internet part
(identical looking to the Sears one).  You guessed it, it seems to be
failing after only two pulls.

So, is there something wrong with the blower (it runs just fine if after
you start it), or has the quality just fallen that far (the plastic part
in the starter that holds the metal "tab" is what breaks off).

My problem is temporary solved because when I order the parts, I also
order the option electric starter.  When I bought it 23 years ago, it
was a $50 option that I figured I certainly didn't need.  Now I paid a
$100 for the electric starter, and I'm kicking my self - it's so nice to
just plug it in, and push the button and instant start.   :)

If you ever buy a snow blower, go for the electric start if it's an
option.  Even when it's not having a problem, starting a 7 HP engine
with a pull starter can be a pain.

But that only solves part of the problem.  As long as I don't stall it
or shut it down without thinking, it's fine, but if I stall it (possible
when it suddenly hits heavy snow/ice) it can be a long way from an
extension cord (especially when I'm doing the elderly neighbor's
driveways).

So, any small engine experts that can tell what to fix/why the start
keeps breaking?  Remember the original starter worked fine for 20 years
or so.  Since then, no luck...

Tim Mullen