Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic, airplane stuff

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic, airplane stuff
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 00:09:19 -0700
Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> I imagine some of you might enjoy this.
>
> http://www.wimp.com/breathtakingfootage/

Quite a view. I'm surprised the trainer version is as stable as it is at
altitude.

Reminds of now five decades ago, when U-2s were being flown out of RAF
Mildenhall in England.  In 1958, one of the pilots had an emergency and
couldn't make it the last sixty miles or so and had to land at Greenham
Common. Mildenhall sent down a crew to fix the plane and bring along
take-off equipment. The runways had been extended well before that time
to SAC standards, about 13,000 ft.  When ready to go, the pilot lined up
about 30% of the way down the runway, started his takeoff roll and
lifted off about 1500 ft later and immediately disappeared into the
cloud cover.

The tower didn't hear anything from him for four or five minutes and
began to wonder if he'd still had a problem.  Then he radioed, "I'm at
140 [14,000 ft], just now over the end of the runway."

Show-off.  :)

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....