Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: Team shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:00:25 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, David Scheidt wrote:
> You've got a lot of faith in brakes.  It's misplaced.  You'll boil the
> fluid in thirty seconds.

    I'm not a man of faith, so I tried it on my way home tonight.  Reports
of the demise of brakes have been greatly exaggerated.

    I was cruising at 55mph ( in my 5.4 F150, very similar in specification
to the recalled Tundras and Sequoias ), when I accelerated hard to 65mph.
Now, this wasn't WOT, but I'm still doubtful people are getting there.
99.99% of drivers would be scared stiff at WOT over 40mph even in a
perfectly-functioning vehicle.  I've done that to people who were in the
passenger seat at driving schools, and that's a self-selected crowd near
the high end.

    Anyway, I held the throttle partially open and when I hit 65, I nailed
the brakes with my left foot.  Not foot-to-the-floor-OMG-we're-gonna-die
braking, but a good hard application.  Everything in the truck not
bolted-on flew forward, and it did 65-10mph with absolutely no problems other
than a really unhappy transmission.

    Now, admittedly, I didn't sit on the shoulder with both feet in for a
couple minutes to see if I could boil any fluid, but that's not really the
point, is it?  I had plenty of time to shift, if it would shift, or shut
off the ignition.  Hell, I probably could've set the e-brake and gotten
out, or crept it up against an immovable object and let it burn itself
out.

    Afterward, I kicked myself for doing this test.  Anyone who can
left-foot brake, or more precisely, anyone who taught themself to LFB via
trial-and-error, should've been able to confirm it from memory.  If you
stomp the middle pedal with your normal clutch-foot action, you better
hold on.  Doesn't matter if you've lifted yet or not.  I also recall my
high school driver's ed teacher nearly breaking our necks with his
passenger-side brake controls when a girl in my class almost crossed the
center-line.  And that was a 1980s Dodge Something-I-can't-recall.

    Brakes have a lot of horsepower.

--
  David Hillman