Re: [Shop-talk] IR temperature meter

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] IR temperature meter
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:52:01 -0500
Dear All,

    Wow.  Think about  Tony's original statement "which I use around the
shop checking AC in and out temps, motor temps, etc . ." and look at the
chart Randall pointed to.

    So when a hot rodder (not me) points his IR thermometer at his polished
aluminum radiator or polished aluminum thermostat housing he's certainly not
getting anything like a meaningful measurement is he?  "Aluminum Highly
Polished" has an emissivity of about .05 versus what Randall claims of
around .95!

    NOTE: Randall, I'm not doubting on your statement - I have no basis to
know either way!

    The other thing about IR thermometers is to remember that they don't
really measure at a fixed size point but see a cone that increases in size
with distance.  Is there some optimal distance at which to use them?

    And yet another interesting and educational discussion!

Mark Watson
1965 Ford Falcon hopefully short term repair project
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' - in the middle of a slow restoration
plus various other transportation pods