Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater problem

To: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater problem
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:27:53 -0800
Rich,

I have the same issue in my new house and will probably be replacing the
heater in the next few months.  One thing you can do to help the heaters
is to periodically drain then to flush out sediment.  If you do this
every year or so, it helps with the efficiency of the tank.  If you have
not done this in 15 years, don't as it will probably lead to a leak.  I
was up to 23 years on my gas hot water tank on the house I just sold
after doing this for 10 years.  I don't know the condition of the anode
rod as it was fused to the tank.  The tank was outside (coastal Los
Angeles), so I wasn't too concerned about leaks.  Interestingly, the
buyer's home inspector didn't point this out as an issue even though I
disclosed the estimated age of the tank and that the T&P valve was just
replaced because it leaked when tested.

I second the recommendation to check the temperature of the hot water at
a faucet for a few days to confirm that it is a water heater problem and
not some sediment messing with your shower valve.  With a 15 year old
tank, I go along with the other people that recommend replacing it
instead of putting much effort into solving the temperature issue.

Brian