Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Aluminum

To: <nogera2@att.net>,"Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Aluminum
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:22:54 -0800
At 03:34 PM 1/10/2010 -0600, nogera2@att.net wrote:
>I'm doing some repairs on an aluminum fender. The edge of the fender is
>finished with a rolled wire edge. A couple of the cracks in the aluminum are
>at the wire edge. I will be taking the fender to a shop to be welded. What I
>would like to know is can the aluminum be welded with the wire in place or
>will the steel wire cause problems with welding the aluminum which is
>wrapped around the steel wire?

I didn't respond cause I don't know.... but I know who does....I used the
Google.
    * You can e-mail your questions to Professor Hammer at covell@cruzio.com
I think he still writes a column for Street Rodder magazine.  He gives
classes on
metalworking around the country at various locations.   As part of his
class he
demonstrated how quickly a good metal man can take out a dent.  He took a big
hammer and put a few big dents in the fender of a 35 Ford and showed how
quickly
he could dolly out the dent and file it smooth.  For someone who has smeared a
bunch of bondo, it was a revelation. I remember that there was someone in
the basic
aluminum class who was working on an airplane which had a rolled edge and he
demonstrated that technique.It's been several years since I took a class
but I remember
emailing a  question and getting a pretty decent answer.

http://www.covell.biz/