Re: [Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 06:59:05 -0800
> I guess I could build up something from lumber and plywood,
> but I am worried that it wold take a couple of iterations to
> get something that works reasonably well, is mechanically
> sound, and doesn't scream "Home Depot weekend project"...

Not likely you'll find anything pre-made to fit that opening, so IMO you are
stuck either making your own, or paying someone else to do it for you.

Certainly more than a weekend project, but I wouldn't think it would be too
hard to lay up your own door, assuming a simple flat, painted surface is
acceptable.  "2 by" core, waterproof glue, masonite skin.  Make it oversize
and trim to fit later.

Frames aren't that hard either, the moldings are available at Home Depot.
Install the top piece first, with shims to get it straight and level; then
the sides (also shimmed for straight and vertical) and a threshold (which
can be left out of square).  Once you've got the finished size, cut the door
to almost fit (ie no room for the sweep & weather-stripping) then add the
hinges before doing the final trim.  I recommend the jig for cutting hinge
mortises with a router; but I have done it by hand.  (Note that there are
two different kinds of hinges, square corners if you use a chisel, rounded
corners for a router.)

Then add stop moldings and the lock mortises.  HD offers a mortise kit, but
I just use the template that comes with the latch hardware along with some
hole saws & a chisel.

Now fill up all the gaps with foam, add some trim moldings, paint it; and
you're done.  Wood putty & paint will cover a multitude of sins <G>

Randall