Re: [Shop-talk] 12 volt benchtop power supply?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>, Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 12 volt benchtop power supply?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:43:46 -0500
Jim Franklin wrote:
> The 1157s use 3 amps each, times 2, plus 4 169 running lights. 10 amps? 12?

You can google or ebay for "bench power supply" but they start to get
expensive if they put out any decent current.

How about a computer power supply?  Newer ones have high current on 12V.
  They usually need some load on them to start, and you need a switch on
the motherboard connector.  I rigged one up at work, can check tomorrow.

Personally, I just use an old battery for that stuff.  You can buy a
lawn tractor battery for <$30 that's nice & compact, for portability &
storage.

-Wayne