Re: [Shop-talk] Advice on insulating a garage

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Advice on insulating a garage
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:45:49 -0500
On Jan 6, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Jim Stone wrote:
>  There is a fairly normal two-car section with 9
> foot walls and a 'normal' roof line.

If this has exposed rafters then I would insulate the building
envelope, and not worry about the extra heating load. Sure it will
take longer to heat as the peak will get all the hot air first, but I
would appreciate the heated storage area. How would you keep the heat
from getting into that storage area if you insulated the ceiling?

It's also possible that you'll do a better job insulating all the
exterior walls than trying to insulate specific rooms.

Also, adding rafter ventilation via foam channels, and using ridge &
soffit vents will keep the place cooler in summer and make your roof
last longer.

Some 4" ductwork and an inline fan can circulae hot air from the peak
down to the floor level if you like.

jim