[Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:54:06 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

So we're considering moving closer to my wife's work, now that I'm working
out of the house.  One of the houses we've seen listed has a 6000 ft^2
block building. I've only seen one picture of the outside, so I don't know
much about it.

My first reaction was "sounds good!" but then I started thinking about it
a little and realized I have no idea what maintenance costs and utility
costs would be for a building like that... Anyone have any idea or rules
of thumb?

For instance, if I kept most of it at 40 deg (and partitioned off /
insulated a two car workshop area), what range for cost would we be
talking about?  I expect its gas heat, but don't know for sure.

Similarly, what sorta maintenance costs for things like roofs (I'm
guessing its some type of flat roof, but again haven't seen the building
yet) or whatever?

I thought you folks might have some idea, even if its just a "You're
talking $400/month and up for that square footage for utilities /
maintenance" type of thing.

Thanks!

Mark