Re: [Shop-talk] Silverado HD2500 Service Brake System

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Silverado HD2500 Service Brake System
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 05:13:56 +0430
I had a 1993 Mercedes that had sensors in the brake pads.  They started to
dimly light the "brake" idiot light well before the pads needed
replacement.  Normally if it was raining and the pads were dirty they
could trigger the light.  Maybe now with the new computers, what would
have been a dim light on the dash now turned into a service code that
tripped the DIC code completely.

Have you checked the pads?  Do you tow with this truck, (if not, that is a
great truck to tow with!) Maybe they are just getting close to needing
replacement.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
12/27/2009 01:55

Frank Vantacich <rustymetal@sbcglobal.net>
cc
Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Silverado HD2500 Service Brake System

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Frank Vantacich
<rustymetal@sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I own a 2003 Chevy Silverado HD2500 with 60,000 miles, the following DIC
> message came on today "Service Brake System". The brakes work great.
Does
> anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start looking for the
cause
> of the problem.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Check the fluid level, and then attach a scan tool.  There will be a code
stored.  (I dunno if the code readers that auto parts stores will let you
borrow will tell you this or not.)  The code will tell you where to start
looking.  Chevy trucks of this vintage have a reputation for having weird
random electrical problems with the brake system computers and sensors.