[Shop-talk] wood lathe

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] wood lathe
From: "Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc)"
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:46:27 -0500
I have inherited a craftsman wood lathe.  Coincidently,  my kids kicked a
soccer ball and brought two of the rungs in my wife's antique bench.  I have
not found a source to buy the rungs so I decided to try to make them.  I
bought 1" poplar dowel sticks to try to turn.  I didn't think it would be that
difficult !!! I am have trouble getting the dowel perfectly square on the
lathe.  Also, the drive end of the lathe has a point and a star shape which I
guess is to hold the wood when turning it.  I can't seem to find any
instruction for the lathe.  Can anyone help with some basics for wood turning
as well as some tips for my situation ??
Thanks,
Dan
PS I wouldn't be opposed to buying the rungs if anyone was a recommended
source.  Nothing special , about 22" long, one inch in the middle with three
lines.  Tapers down to 3/4" on either end.