Re: [Shop-talk] Ladybugs (partly shop related)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ladybugs (partly shop related)
From: "scottmryan" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:56:46 -0600
Hi!
In our house (Minneapolis, Minnesota) we have had the asian ladybugs/beetles
go into the attic/crawlspace, they go dormant when it gets cold. (there were
thousands (10's of thousands?) of them that burrowed under the fibreglas
insulation and appear to winter there-sealed up attic better and now it's
only some (hundreds?) that get in. You can tell the difference easily, the
asian ones are orange and have 'M' shaped markings on thier head. They also
are not good for controlling insects because they eat anything, including
real ladybugs. We had aphids on our plum tree out front and ended up getting
real ladybugs and releasing them on the tree; it worked, and also I think
they crowded out the asian lady beetles this year, we only see a few in the
now-usually many dosens crawling around on the upstairs ceilings, esp near
the lights. (and regular ladybugs don't winter inside the house, at least
that's what the local organic shop said.) and asain lady beetles sometimes
bite, (mistaking you for food), and ladybugs do not.
Scott R
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ladybugs (shop related)

> Thanks for the follow up.
>
> I did deal with it a little bit.  I put an add on "freecycle" and I have
> about 3 people come and suck them up, with a bunch more wanting to come
> back in the spring when it warms up (I have no idea where they go when it
> gets cold.)

<snip>

> Eric,
>
> I imagine you've probably dealt with this by now.  When you posted
> this, I fired off this email to the NJ DEP:
>
> A property in New Jersey has been inundated with ladybugs.  I have
> read about ways to address this.  I am frequently told that you can't
> kill them because they are protected by law.  While I have no
> intention of initiating a major ladybug genocide, I would  like to
> know if this is actually true and what law or regulation it is that
> states this.  Thank you.
>
> As the wheels of government agencies turn rather slowly, today I
> finally received this reply:
>
> Steve, the ladybugs you refer to are asian ladybugs. There is no law
> preventing you from destroying them.  I use regular household bug
> spray.  Check the web for further information.
>
> This came from from Larry Herrighty <Larry.Herrighty@dep.state.nj.us>

<snip>