Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: [mg-tabc] More on ZDDP

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: [mg-tabc] More on ZDDP
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:34:51 -0600
Chris, I really don't know - I'm passing on info from another list, unedited
and unchecked.  The last set apparently came from the website linked at the
beginning of the message.  I fully agree with you that it's a moving target,
and I personally wouldn't take any info like this as either gospel or
current, whether it's from the manufacturers or from lab tests of product
purchased at retail.  It's just an indication of what was typical for those
specific oils at some time, perhaps recently or perhaps not.

What I did find interesting, however, was the historical info about when the
standards changed and the PPM limits that were imposed at various points.
We've been using too little zinc in our old-car oils for years and only in
the past couple of years has it become widely discussed.

Karl