Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:52:08 -0600
I am aware of some of the nice things that could be done IF the internal and
external jaws were exactly the same.

But the original task was "measure the bore so piston rings can be ordered"
and I still believe that "find something to set a known zero datum and then
have at it" was a reasonable procedure for that task and did not require that
the jaws be exactly the same.

By the way, what are you using for you "standard" for inside measurements? I
can see how gage blocks would be used for determining the accuracy of outside
and depth measuring tools but do not see a way to use them for testing the
accuracy of  inside measuring tools. Several kludges come to mind but I though
I would as someone with more experience than I.

Arvid