Re: [Shop-talk] hoisting heavy items

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hoisting heavy items
From: Steve Dillen <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 07:09:44 -0700
I use a boat-trailer winch ($50 from Princess Auto here in
Canada....Harbor Freight likely is the US equivalent) attached to the
wall of my garage with the cable running through overhead blocks to
install/remove my Jeep TJ hardtop (150# or so), truck canopy, etc.  I've
used it to lift engines into the back of a pickup and such.  I plan on
running the cable through pulleys and an I-Beam roller to make it easier
to load and move heavier things as needed.  You might look at something
similar to this....it's slow, but it was cheap and works well for me.
It'd certainly be faster than a chain fall.

Heed all the usual warnings about making sure you have enough structural
support for whatever you're lifting and those on the trailer winch which
clearly state "not for lifting", blah blah blah!!!!!  Actually, the only
concern I've ever had with this system is when lowering because of
course there's no drag.

Steve Dillen
Maple Ridge, BC