[Shop-talk] More wiring questions.

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] More wiring questions.
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:50:00 -0400
OK, so I buried the cable to the new building.  (Note, this is a steel
frame construction building, this is an important fact later.)

I bought a junction box and was amazed to find that they don't include a
ground bar.  Why not?

So my question is this...

I have a 3 conductor (and bare ground) wire run to the new building.  This
line is coming off my subpanel in the garage.

So it's a 30amp breaker on 10/3 wire.

In the building, do I run a separate ground spike?  Or, since the building
is a steel frame (with 4X4 steel post concreted into the ground,) is the
building already grounded?

I'm only runing one bank of lights, and a few outlets.

If I do put a grounding spike in the ground, should I connect it to the box
AND the building?

I seem to remember something about a grounding loop on subpanels, but I
can't remember exactly what it was.

TIA!

Moose
bBe as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.b Ralph
Waldo Emerson