[Shop-talk] Shop Security

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Shop Security
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:32:40 -0400
Seems to be a rash of robberies in the neighborhood recently.  I'd like to
figure out a way to help secure my garage which is detached, about 50 feet
from the house, and the car which I park in the driveway.  I'd like to add
some wireless, motion sensors with alarm capability.

Specifically I'd like the garage one to have a siren that goes off when
triggered and could also call a phone number, or report back to a control
center that would beep or something, something I could keep near the bedroom
when asleep.  I'm lazy and my garage doors need a key to lock/unlock which is
hard for me to do on a daily basis, plus two old windows that are barely
enough to keep someone out if they should try to enter that way.

For monitoring the car, where there would be a greater chance of false
positives due to it being outside, animals, etc..  just to be able to alert
the control center that can trigger would be fine.

I've found some options from GE on Amazon.com and others found via Google.
Gee, the X10 site seems to have an awful lot of female models posing alongside
their products... that and all the other BS glitz has me wondering if I should
even be considering that as a solution.

How are people securing their garages, or specifically what products are they
using to alert them that someone has entered?

(I searched the archives a bit, but didn't see anything very recent at
all...)

Thanks,
PJ