[Shop-talk] Welding Sheet Metal

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Welding Sheet Metal
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 06:25:25 -0700
I need to make a car body panel repair.  I can either MIG or TIG.  This will be
a butt weld on thin (22-24 gauge) sheet metal.  I've done it before with a MIG;
it seems the best way is with a small gap to start and a series of tack welds
or
short beads that eventually join up.  With a  TIG, I think I could have less of
a gap (or no gap at all), could run more of a bead and hopefully deposit less
metal, but I'm also concerned with burn through.  I'm an amatuear welder, but
getting better.

Recommendations?

TIA,
Bob