Re: [Shop-talk] gear vendor / laycock J-type od

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] gear vendor / laycock J-type od
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:57:08 -0700
> This may sound like a dumb question but am I correct in thinking this
> would likely be the J-type used by Triumph with some possible mods done
> to it?

Yup, basically the same unit.

> Did they make more than one J-type?

Definitely.  There were even minor variations among Triumphs, but Volvos
(for example) have a considerably different (and simpler) pressure relief
valve.  Different ratios too, at least in some cases.  I've also got an
adapter casing somewhere that I've never identified.

However, Gear Vendors is actually making them now, having originally been
licensed and more recently bought the rights from GKN, who bought out
Laycock back in the 70s.
http://www.gearvendors.com/about.html

Randall