Re: [Shop-talk] Maximum speed with a limited use spare

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Maximum speed with a limited use spare
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 00:15:55 -0400
Jim Stone wrote:
> I am writing this from a hotel in Harrisburg, PA.  My wife and I are driving
> her BMW 323 to Eastern Long Island and had a flat tire today.  That isn't a
> big deal as we are close to needing new tires on the car anyway.  I will
> probably just order a new set from TireRack and have them delivered to where

I read an article in Car&Driver probably 10+ years ago where they tested
compact spares on a Corvette and talked to some tire engineers.  Tests
and the experts said they're really ok at full speed for a limited
distance (like a few hundred) and the 'vette didn't handle all that
badly (C&D thrashed it) considering its size.  Now that is at full
recommended pressure, which is usually 60 psi or so.  Most people never
check their spare, and if it's under that would be bad.

I do agree with the other comment about not running one on the drive
axle long term due to possible diff' wear.  But if you have a hotel and
some mobility, find an AutoZone or whatever and buy one of those
inserter & plug patch kits, and fix the original.  Those patches work
great, but supposedly the tire's speed rating is lowered/invalidated.
But you weren't really gonna drive 130mph home, right?

Stuff a plug in the original, slap it back on and get them tars' when
you're home.

-Wayne