[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Shop-talk] 80psi to 160psi without power?

To: Mark Andy <>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 80psi to 160psi without power?
From: Bob Spidell <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:50:56 -0700
 From the looks of it, it's a two chambered pump that uses pneumatic 
"amplification" (similar to hydraulic advantage).

For example: two pistons, connected by a common rod.  Piston one is 2"sq and 
takes 60psi--that's 120pounds applied to the other piston, which is only 1"sq, 
producing a 120psi output (but one-half the volume of air).  There's valving 
that allows the piston to cycle, so the output would be pulsed, but at a higher 
pressure determined by the relative sizes of the two pistons (and the input 

There's a similar type of device used to inflate the struts on aircraft landing 
gear, which can take upwards of 400psi.  The input can be 'normal' compressor 
output; i.e. 80-120psi or so.


Mark Andy wrote:
> Howdy,
> Anyone know how a system like this can work?
> Mark
> _______________________________________________

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA  

Support Team.Net

Shop-talk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>