Re: [Shop-talk] Screwing steel studs?

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Screwing steel studs?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:03:46 -0500
They come in hex head too - in fact I've only seen that kind (but never
looked for others).  And there are magnetic hex driver bits that hold them
well.  Maybe they're better fitted to the bits or something, but despite
being clumsy and having mostly used them way up on a ladder, I've had almost
no slip-smash incidents with them.

They're often referred to as stitch screws, and the one tradename that comes
to mind it TEK -- TEKScrews.  I've used larger sizes (1/4") to drill into
some relatively heavy-walled fence tubing and while they don't slip right
in, it's only a few seconds before they drill through and start threading.

Karl