Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Words of Wisdom needed

To: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Words of Wisdom needed
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 17:50:00 -0700
Steve,

I'm not much of a welder--and don't play one on TV--but I have some experience
with MIG (getting ready to buy first TIG).  Plus, it sounds like my
Austin-Healey 3000 has a similar axle housing.

This sure sounds like a job for a TIG.  MIG would work, but you'd probably pile
up a large(r) bead, and maybe not get as much penetration.  OA gas would work
too, but probably cause more collateral damage.

If your axle is like my Healey's, it doesn't appear as if the back plate bears
much load/stress--makes me wonder why it cracked?--so welding from the outside
alone should work (I'd drain the diff first).  I don't think stop-drilling is
necessary if you make sure to carry the bead past the ends of the crack.

I don't know how thick the metal is here, but you might consider beveling out
the crack so you get better penetration (that's the key to this type of repair)
and, of course, clean the surface thoroughly.

Bob