Re: [Shop-talk] string trimmer

To: "Rich White" <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>, "shop-talk List"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] string trimmer
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 14:49:28 -0500
Rich White wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new string trimmer.
> What it the opinion of the list?

I bought a new Craftsman a year or so ago (when it was on sale).  Yes,
there are better ones out there, but I can always get parts for it - I
managed to get a bracket for a 15 year old snow blower - try that with
another brand...)

Two things I looked for:
First was a straight shaft.  The straight shaft trimmer balances much,
much better than my old curved shaft trimmer.  The old curved shaft one
required me to hold it "up" to use - the curved shaft on hangs on a
strap, and I just have to guide it with my arms.  After trimming for an
extended period, my arms are no longer tired.

Second was to get one that used regular line head, not one of the "quick
change" trimmer heads.  Yes, it takes a few minutes to wind new line
onto the spool when it runs out, but the roll of trimmer line was only a
few bucks and will last forever.  My roll for my last trimmer lasted for
over 15 years - I still have some left, but my new trimmer used a
thicker line and I needed to buy a new roll.  Also buy a spare spool, so
you can change it when it runs out and re-fill it later.

As for 2 or 4 stroke, - four 4 would have been nice, but I have other
two stroke yard tools, so having a gallon can of gas pre-mixed with the
"universal" 2 stroke oil (for all ratios) isn't a problem.

That was what I looked for and it's worked out well.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA