[Shop-talk] Building a garage: half now and half later?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Building a garage: half now and half later?
From: "Mark Miller" <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 23:17:46 -0700
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: [Shop-talk] garage design, part 2
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Dot dot dot
<<< So my next thought is to build it in stages... That design really seems
to be a 26x33 building married to a 17x39 building, so my thinking is to
build the "regular height" garage first, use it for my immediate needs, and
expand it later when I get around to actually buying a lift...

You might give some thought to roughing in some of the second half of the
project: will you be able to dig the foundation and get the concrete in for
the second half after the first half is built?  Will there be a bobcat sized
path for removing/adding dirt or gravel without having to use a wheelbarrow?
Putting in the full sized slab/foundation now will likely cost less than
doing it in two stages and could save you oodles of grief.  And you get a
carport-like slab for the interim.  Downside: if you need to sink anchors
into the slab they will stick up and be a pain.

Mark Miller
Sebastopol, CA
Extremely under-garaged.