Re: [Shop-talk] Brown stain in toilet (was well that can't be

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brown stain in toilet (was well that can't be
From: Brian C Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:37:01 -0700
I've lived on well water for quite some time. The brown you see is basically
rust from the iron compounds in the water. I'm a little surprised that the
city water has that much iron in it. There's a product called Iron Out
readily available at your local hardware store. I've forgotten what acid it
has, but it readily removes the brown, just be careful with it. There are
other products that work as well, I just don't remember the names.

For years I solved the problem with water softeners and salt w/rust. All my
outside faucets bypassed the water softeners so any time I watered anything,
I got rust all over. A few years ago I bit the big bullet and installed iron
filters. The first was called "Iron Curtain". It has two tanks, the first
injects air into the water to oxidize the iron compounds. The second filters
the iron compounds using a timed backflushing scheme as water softeners do.
These things are maintenance free (until something breaks, of course) and
what I really like is they have the capacity to water my lawn. So the whole
house is filtered. They aren't cheap though. The last one I got for our
cottage was 2-3K as I recall.

I still use the water softener, of course, for most things inside the house
to get rid of the calcium carbonate. I don't use a water softener at the
cottage. It's small and we don't use that much water. So every know and then
I have to clean up a little white deposits from the calcium
--
Brian  Kennedy