Re: [Shop-talk] Storing bits of rod and tubing?

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storing bits of rod and tubing?
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 22:03:19 -0700
I make vertical storage bins out of PVC pipe of various diameters and
lengths.  I always seem to have scrap PVC pipe in sizes from 2 to 6"
inches or so laying around.  I cut several pieces of varying diameters
to appropriate lengths, attach them vertically to a scrap of plywood,
and attach the plywood to the wall.  Then put the long/skinny stuff in
the appropriate tube.  I have one such storage setup attached to the end
of the radial arm saw cabinet to hold dowels and useful pieces of lath,
and another over by the metal lathe to hold smaller sizes of round and
flat bar, all thread, long pieces of key stock, etc.

To attach the PVC to the plywood:  Mark at least two locations on the
side of the PVC pipe at each end.  On the drill press, drill through one
side with a 3/4" spade bit and let the spur penetrate the opposite side.
  Use the big hole as an access point to put a screw through the back
side to attach it to the plywood or other substrate.

Although my storage is only one rank, there's no reason, given available
space, you couldn't have several ranks of storage tubes, tall in back,
short in front.