Re: [Shop-talk] Painting Plastic/Bakelite

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Painting Plastic/Bakelite
From: Chad on LEG <chad@linuxeg.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:35:43 -0400
--===============2019190513==

<head>
</head>
This is just a wild guess and not a very cost effective one<br>
but have you considered "Testors" model paints? After <br>
all they are intended for plastics (I know, you said bakelite)-&nbsp; just a
thought.<br>
chad<br>
Jim Stone wrote:
 type="cite">
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt;
font-family:Verdana
}
my 1966 Alpine, but not having much luck.&nbsp; The surround is in good
shape, just weathered from 43 years in the sun. I wet sanded it with
400 grit paper and got a nice smooth surface that should have taken
appropriate paint well.&nbsp; The first one I tried was Rust-oleum
Universal.&nbsp; In theory, that should have been perfect, but it produced
an awful, very thick, almost hammered finish.&nbsp; I stripped this off
(using CitruStrip, which seems to work very well on the old plastic)
and tried again, this time with Valspar Plastic paint.&nbsp; I got almost
the same result (and I suspect it is almost the same paint), but not
quite as bad.&nbsp; Back to the Citrustrip, and then one more try with the
Valspar, trying to be very light with the paint.&nbsp; It was little better
than the first two attempts, but far from acceptable.&nbsp; Before I try
again with a third brand, can anyone recommend either a good technique
for using the Universal or Valspar paint, or a paint that will produce
a nice smooth durable finish on Bakelite?<br>
Thanks.<br>
  <hr>Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for
Hotmail&reg;. <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=TXT_MSGTX_WL_HM_express_032009#colortheme";
 target="_new">See how.</a>
  <pre wrap="">