[Shop-talk] culverts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] culverts
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:39:34 -0500
Since we moved into our new house in Kentucky a few months ago I've been
watching how rain water flows across the yard, driveway and pastures.
In one place on the driveway the previous owners had put a culvert.
This culvert was open on the uphill side but for some reason they
covered up the downstream side with dirt.  Oddly enough the water
doesn't flow over the top of the driveway like I would have expected so
I went searching for the reason.  What I found was over the years the
water flow has created a couple of underground passages that travel for
5 or 6 feet (probably more) before working their way to the surface.

We're going to be doing some grading of the land in the general area of
where the culvert is for placement of a new shop so I'm going to have to
find a way to extend the existing culvert maybe 20' or more.  I've
purchased a couple of 20' plastic culverts but I unsure how to tie the
existing steel culvert to the new plastic culvert.

Any suggestions on a means to accomplish this feat?

Thanks!

Brad