Re: [Shop-talk] Basic MIG Welding questions

To: "Jim Stone" <jandkstone99@msn.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Basic MIG Welding questions
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:04:26 -0600
I have never worried about getting a perfect seal on any of the fittings as
I did not think there was much pressure in the line. After all there is this
big hole at the end of the gun so ...

I have always just shut the cylinder valve when I was done and let it go at
that. I've been more worried about what might leak INTO the lines after I
shut it off and left it sit until the next weekend than what the gas that
was suppose to be in there did to the plumbing while it was sitting. That is
why I usually turn the wire speed down as low as it will go and pull the
trigger a few times if it has set unused for a few days. This allows the
preflow to purge the air or what ever might have gotten in there while it
was sitting unused out and I am sure to get good shielding gas right at the
start.

Arvid